What’s new in Silva 2.1
- A quota subsystem has been added. It lets Managers set a quota on a publication (which is often a virtual host root).
- The preview screen in the SMI now previews using the public layout, while retaining the SMI tabs at the top. The former public preview is gone.
- An “Editor Comments” tool has been added to Kupu: it displays the “internal comments” metadata field (if there is text).
- AutoTOCs are now more configurable, with the following new features:
1. Choose Silva types that AutoTOCs will list (any Silva type, including Assets).
2. Changeable depth.
3. Optionally display the content_description property of content.
4. Optionally show the icon of each content type.
5. Specify sort order: alphabetical, reverse-alpha, or Silva folder order.
- Modernized buttons and matrix navigation.
- ”Insert new object here” functionality.
- The Silva Link edit screen now displays an editable http link, while the preview shows the rendered redirect location without actually going there.
- A lookup window will now list containers for all filtered lookup listings.
- Took out automatic install of SilvaFind when making a new Silva root. Instead a new option for creating a Find instance has been added to the Silva Root add form.
- The css for form button controls has been refactored.
- Since the full media export is restricted to Chief Editors and up, there’s no reason to display the export button to lower level roles.
- Renovated the Kupu image toolbox to make it more userfriendly. Improved the alignments in the table toolbox.
- Support for direct username assignment to clipboard.
- When groups are used, the groups management screen also shows groups defined elsewhere (not just local to the container) and provides links to edit those groups.
- Changed the External Source Kupu tool title when editing a source in a document so it now says “es <<source title>>“ and the source id is displayed on hover. External Sources in documents now display the title inside the “<< >>“ and the id when hovered over. The description of the external source is also included in the Kupu content.
- The keys and values of external source parameters no longer display in Kupu content.
- The ZMI add list has been uncluttered. Silva content types that should only be created through the SMI are no longer addable in the ZMI.
Improvements and fixes
- Improved mimetype checking in SilvaDocument to make kupu editing work in Firefox 3.
- Caching issues with /globals: All files in /globals are now tied to an Accelerated HTTP Cache Manager at <silva_root>/service_static_cache_manager. This cache manager sets the appropriate HTTP headers to enable browsers to cache these objects. The default setting is to cache for one week, and since the content is static, also cache non-anonymous requests. The Silva root needs to be refreshed in order to take advantage of this cache manager. Refreshing happens automatically during Silva upgrades.
- Significant performance improvement in converting folders to publications and vice-versa.
- Containers should retain the last author information. Container author information is now displayed in the parent container’s contents screen in the “author” column, rather than “n/a”. Container last author and last modified dates are updated when objects are moved, deleted, added, pasted into the container, when the container’s metadata is modified (properties screen and settings subscreen), and when the container is converted to/from a publication/folder.
- Better Internet Explorer 6 compatibility so SMI is readable in this non standards compliant browser.
- The frontend.css.dtml is css valid now.
- When SMTP errors occur while sending notifications, we log them, but no longer hold up the publication/approval process.
- When pdf/word conversion results in errors, the converted text is indexed anyway, if there is any.
- Fixed the attribute error in Kupu editor of changed images
- Adding content with the same name as catalog indexes can cause problems and break the content. The catalog index ids are now reserved ids.
- Worked around a ZCatalog bug which causes containers to be unindexed twice when a parent container is removed.
- Placing headings inside list items is now possible in Kupu.
- Remove slide links from object lookup window, so that the full SMI cannot be loaded within it.
- Set overflow of selects in Kupu toolboxes to hidden, preventing long titles from pushing the toolbox wider.
- The Kupu toolbox is translated again.
- Changed the ‘new version’ button in the editor screen from an input to a button, to avoid css conflicts with frontend.css control styles.
- Fixed the escaping of image title strings.
- Silva ExternalSources can now be disabled.
- Image upload screen shows allowed formats.
- Solved the problem with Link object as index of a container.
- Solved the problem with empty list elements in Kupu.
- Pasted ghosts had an unknown author when you clicked “paste to ghost”, the resultant ghost object now has author info.
- The revert_to_previous functionality has been removed from Silva, since it was obsoleted by “manage versions”
Updated documents and recreated screenshots of the new user interface and new features.
Many thanks to all who contributed. See the annotated HISTORY.txt
for names of all contributors.
Full change details are in HISTORY.txt of the Silva core package. For developer-level changes, see doc/developer_changes. Also see the changes in components such as Silva Document, Silva Metadata, External Sources, etc.